As part of the E Series Entertainment System, the GXD amplifiers are ideal for entertainment and production applications. With integral signal processing and outstanding performance, the GXD amplifiers express all the hallmarks of the QSC brand – professional audio quality and long-term reliability. Add contemporary styling, multiple routing options, light weight, digital signal processing and advanced protection circuitry, and the GXD Series clearly represents real value – something everyone can use.
The GXD series is optimized for use with 8 and 4 ohm loudspeaker loads. GXD amplifiers deliver just the right amount of power to the most popular speakers used by entertainers and production professionals
The Right Power
There’s a GXD amplifier within 1dB of the ideal power for your speaker system.
Best practice is to use an amplifier capable of delivering approximately twice the loudspeaker’s rated power capacity. Too little amplifier and the speakers won’t deliver everything they’re capable of and the risk of destructive amplifier clipping is increased. Too much power probably means unnecessary amplifier expense.
To determine the power points for the GXD series, QSC examined the loudspeakers most widely used for sound reinforcement by musicians, DJs and production professionals. Overall, these speakers are equipped with woofers that fall into a couple of categories of continuous power capacity – low-power drivers that can handle 150 – 250 watts, and mid to high-power drivers rated around 250-400 watts. Single woofer loudspeaker systems using these drivers will typically have an impedance of 8Ω. Dual woofer loudspeakers will, of course, have power ratings that are two times that of the single woofer model and an impedance that is half that of single-woofer models.
Digital Signal Processing
The GXD amplifiers are unlike other amps in this category that provide little more than a front panel screen to control the same functions that have been under rear-panel, DIP switch control for decades. The GXD amps bring full-function loudspeaker processing capability to a new price point with all the processing necessary to get the most from a loudspeaker system. The DSP section includes High and Low-Pass filters (24dB LR), 4-band parametric equalizer, signal alignment delay, and RMS/Peak speaker protection limiting. Twenty presets for selected typical systems are provided as generic “starting points” are included. To further prove the point, the GXD amplifiers come pre-loaded with QSC E Series loudspeaker tunings, enabling a simple connect and play system that maximizes the performance of the system.
The most common cause of loudspeaker failure is amplifier clipping. The digital limiter used in the GXD amplifiers is set to prevent the amplifier from being driven into clipping while delivering the maximum usable output. In addition to amplifier limiting it also provides smart speaker protection by simply setting the loudspeaker’s continuous power and impedance (4Ω and 8Ω), and selecting whether Mild, Medium or Agressive protection is desired.
QSC GXD4 Amplifier Features:
• High peak output power with up to 1600 Watts
• Power levels matched to the most popular loudspeakers and optimized for headroom
• Class-D output power for high performance and light weight
• Extensive and powerful loudspeaker processing includes, crossover and parametric EQ filters, delay, and power limiting
• XLR and 1/4″ TRS inputs for compatibility with any source
• Parallel inputs provide convenient loop-thru capability
• Professional NL4 output connectors provide mono and bi-amp speaker connectivity
• Detented encoders for precise gain and DSP parameter control
• Front panel LEDs for monitoring power, signal and clipping
• Large LCD display with rotary encoders for fast set-up and monitoring of the amplifiers’ levels
• Flexibility to create, store and recall up to 20 user presets for any application